Testosterone Gels Risky to Children
FDA Orders 'Black Box' Warning for AndroGel 1% and Testim 1% After Reports of Kids Affected by Adults' Use
The FDA recommends taking the following precautions to minimize the potential for secondary exposure to AndroGel 1% or Testim 1%:
- Adults who use testosterone gels should wash their hands with soap and warm water after every application.
- Adults should cover the application site with clothing once the gel has dried.
- Adults should wash the application site thoroughly with soap and warm water prior to any situation where skin-to-skin contact with another person is anticipated.
- Children and women should avoid contact with testosterone application sites on the skin of men who use these products.
- Avoid any similar, but unapproved, products from the marketplace (including the Internet).
If a child develops inappropriate male sex characteristics or is exposed to testosterone gel, the FDA recommends contacting the child's doctor.